815 N. Main Street
Located at 815 N. Main Street this Spanish colonial style building is Meridian’s latest addition to the list of National Register of Historic Places and was added to the list in 2008.
Homer Tolleth built the first telephone line to Meridian in 1900. He managed this independent telephone line under various names until 1927. At that time the company was located in the second floor of the Meridian Exchange Bank formally located on the corner of Broadway and First Streets. When Mr. Tolleth retired the Mountain States Telephone and Telegraph Company incorporated in the Meridian Exchange Bank.
From 1927 to 1929 Meridian residents saw improvements to its infrastructure and economy. Paving of the nearby state highway was occurring, a sewer system was being installed and there were prospects for a large creamery plant to be constructed. The telephone company made plans to move and leased the land on First Street (later renamed to the present day Main Street) owned by John Baird. Construction of the new building began in 1928 and was constructed by a local firm for just under $5,000.00.
Mountain States Telephone and Telegraph Company leased the building until 1955 when its communication services were consolidated into the Boise office. Mr. Baird’s descendants sold the property to Voris Botkin who ran a real estate office at the location until 1981. After that time the structure was home to a popcorn store. It is now is home to the Valley Times newspaper office & a computer systems installation group.
Meridian historian Lila Hill presents: