1123 N. Main Street
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005, the craftsman-style Clara Hill House at 1123 N. Main Street, was built by Charles Arzt in 1920 and occupied by Mae Estes until Clara Hill purchased the home in 1938. An example of the American Movement’s craftsman style, the building attains a natural look through use of wood, earth tone colors, simple features, and geometric forms. Built on the original through-town state highway, the Hill House still stands out as a domestic dwelling of moderately large size and modern style of the time. The craftsman style of domestic architecture was most popular in the United States between 1905 and 1930. It spread from California and was one of the building types featured in a regular architectural column in the Meridian Times.
Meridian historian Lila Hill presents the Clara Hill House: