36 E. Pine Avenue
Built in 1910 the Baird House was home to one of the first ladies’ service club, The Meridian Business and Professional Women’s Club. Mrs. John Baird organized the group in 1928 and was its first president. This group provided opportunities for cooperation among employed women and gave them a means to collectively serve the community. Their early activities included giving financial aid to less-fortunate students and they also provided funds for a young couple expecting a baby who had no financial means. They raised money for scholarships for local high school graduates. They worked to abolish the practice of firing employed women upon their marriage. While some married women could find jobs in rural schools, married women were not allowed to teach in the city of Meridian.
Meridian historian Lila Hill presents the Baird House: