137 E. Pine Avenue
The Bell House was original built in 1920 by Charles Arzt for Sam Griffiths, the manager of Meridian Lumber. Jack Bell assumed the management position at the lumberyard and when he did he purchased this property. After his promotion to management Mr. Bell purchased the lumberyard and owned it for many years. Jessie Bell, Jack Bell’s wife, used to hold wonderful parties in their backyard and only the social elite were invited. Jessie Bell was also a president of the Meridian Ladies’ Aid, Woman’s Society of Christian Service, and United Methodist Women from 1950-1952. The lawn used for those early garden parties is still maintained to the west of the residence.
Meridian historian Lila Hill presents the Compton House: